Thursday, April 23, 2009

23Apr09 Bullshit Artists

There are alot of bullshitters in this business. Seriously.

Example: I find a guy on Craigslist (we know there are crazy people on that thing), call him up and strike up a pretty decent conversation. He says he's been in the business for awhile...like 15yrs or something. Looking for rehabs and rentals and did sound pretty damn legit.

Talks about how many deals he had closing and all kinds of good shit ( I should have known by that). Ask him what he likes to see and he gives me the usual generic answer, then tells me that he likes this one particular area in the city...."i'll take it all day long." I know the area so i go out and take a look.

So...I made a bunch of bids, and got a few fish on the line. Before I tie up any of my money I decided to call his bluff and see what he would do......probably should have done that before I made all the bids but whatever. One email. Nothing. One phone call...."oh sorry I didnt get the email, im going out there in an hour." Nothing. A few more tries. Crap.

So I called him up, and left him a message that basically said that it was my fault for preemtively putting him in the category of someone who isnt a piece of crap and actually follows through, and to have a nice day.

I guess im an eternal optimist because this crap has happened too many times before.

I just dont want to deal with these marginal people anymore. It is my fault and I take responsibility, but ive made a decision to not waste my effort with pieces of crap. They never buy anything.

Moreover, people can get bogged down with this kind of shit and give up. I know I have wanted to give up many times after I waded through the mud of people's nonsense before. Part of me got more than a little frustrated with this clown.

I guess the takeaway message is something I know but I guess still dont KNOW....and that is to only deal with people that can perform. How do you know who can perform? Call them on it and see what they do, not what they say.

I refuse to believe that this is the premier example of people in this business....how do I know, because I have sold deals to guys that are not like this. Guys that make a decision, stick by that decision and can be counted on.

I will tattoo a picture of a jackass to my forehead if I fall into this miserable trap again.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to hold you to that, Jerry.

    I know of a great tattoo artist..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is strange to say, but I'm afraid of becoming one of these people. It is one of my biggest "mind obstacles" to overcome. I don't want to start network with people if I can't come through and keep my word. I never lie about it like the guy in your post, but it still gives me that pit in my stomach. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key to that is to make promises you will keep.

    I struggled with the same kind of stuff, believe me. Its a hustle, but the key is just to be honest and practice good business. Everybody is busy.

    ReplyDelete